"...sa may paanan Niya, nakita ko ang tayog at ningning ng aking mga pangarap. Tama, sa may paanan Niya, doon ako magsisimula..."

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Remembering Drew. (published for The Collegiate Inquiry, The Official Student Publication of Imus Institue, College Department, November-December2005)

Sunday thoughts on a Tuesday afternoon; what are Sunday thoughts anyway? Well, Sunday thoughts are supposed to be lazy feelings, idle ideas, and creamy castles on corny clouds of creased dreams… or so I think. In short, I don’t know how to kick this column off again.


Profound thought number one: Why not build a boat? (What is so profound about that?) Yes, I think about building a boat. Why? Simple. What if all the ice and glaciers in both north and south poles melts? Or what if we suddenly find our solid soil sinking in sea water? What are you going to do? Huh? What??? Tell me!!! (wala narin kayong masabi no? wala na rin akong maisulat eh!) Hahaha! Sorry but I just don’t really know how to start but at least I’ve written a lot now. Hehe.


Thinking about building a boat and how am I going to spend my Christmas vacation, I received a message from my long lost friend named Drew, inviting me to join him with the rest of the group to his place in Baguio for a recollection. I just replied back and if I have the money and time, I’ll go with him. Surprisingly, he said it is an all-expense paid trip. I said yes immediately and decided to spend my vacation with him. However, it is still subject to change and that is if my parent would allow me to leave.


Anyway, talking about Drew, this guy really touched my life. I met him several years ago during the workshop that we both attended. It was just so amazing how for only 12-days-12-sessions of the workshop, we managed to know each other so well that I’ve realized it would be painful for me to see him leave. Since then, anyway, we did not lose our communications. Only after we moved here in Cavite that I lost my contact with him but still, he managed to find me through Friendsters that is why I am so grateful to that technology.


Knowing his life story will also inspire you, I swear. It made me realized how true as it is that God created us equal and just. Wealth, money, fame, recognition and “pleasing personalities”, he has all that. But the most special thing I admire about him is the way he uses all his assets to help other people. And I was one of those people who was touched by his good deeds, maybe not materially but spiritually, psychologically, and most of all, he boosted my ego. I was 14 then, and he was 20. I was poor and he was wealthy. I had lots of frustration in life and he told me that it is not bad to be frustrated, what’s wrong about it is that if we did not do anything to overcome our desires. And until now, I have that in mind, heart and soul.


How will I ever forget this man? Even before entering priesthood, he was able to send me a message advising me to open and widen my ear and hear God’s calling. He was encouraging me to enter the seminary. He said it is an all-expense paid training of priesthood courtesy of a certain sponsor. Of course, I can’t answer him “yes” right away but I promised him if ever I hear God’s calling for me, I won’t hesitate to follow his footsteps. Years from now, I’ll meet him again, I know. But I believe when that time comes, I already know where I want my life to be. Thanks Drew.


No comments: